"Great" Room?

, ,
I think I may have shared this with you once before, but... I got my start with sewing window treatments. They are still my favorite sewing projects to tackle.

I purchased the fabric for our great room windows before we even moved in. I absolutely love this fabric.

We've been in the house for 5 months now and I finally worked up the courage to start the project. When I say "worked up the courage," I mean, I was terrified to cut this fabric. I really was.

After much debate, I settled on an out-of-print McCall's pattern - M3561, View D. It was one that I'd made years ago before with great results.

I wish this story had the same happy ending...

{Mistake #1}

I was working with 3 windows in a row so I decided to make one treatment to span the entire width, rather than one per window.

{Mistake #2}

I convinced myself that upholstery fabric would make a suitable contrasting fabric. I know better. I do.

{The Result}

It just looks a little sad to me. Maybe it will grow on me.

It's disappointing because I put so much time and effort (and money!) into this treatment. Obviously, if I were to do it again, I would make one treatment per window and use a proper weight contrasting fabric.

I still love the fabric and may order more for my dining room. I'm working up a few pillows with the remnants that I have left. I'll be sharing those with you later this week.

If you'd like to see pics of some of my past window projects, head on over to my Facebook page {give me a "Like" while you're there}. I'm always looking for window ideas. Maybe you'll see something there that inspires you!

Happy Thanksgiving!